Wednesday, November 6, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 6

I've managed to eek my way up to 13,729 words today. Huzzah! 

So far, I haven't hit that dreaded slump but I'm just waiting. It usually decides to lurk around a corner just when I don't expect it and then WHAM! The story either drops dead in its tracks or decides it needs to suddenly turn in another direction. I've already had modifications to the plot that I wasn't expecting to have. But I suppose that's how writing is supposed to be: learning along the way and adapting to whatever the characters suddenly reveal to you. 

I originally started this year's NaNo using just Microsoft Word. But I have found the mother of all inventions when it comes to my writing style. If you haven't checked it out do so! 

Right now, I'm using FocusWriter on both my laptops, as well as my main tower at home and boy is it a lifesaver! This little wonder is free (though you can donate to the creators of the program if you're feeling generous- and I have because they are awesome and I want them to keep developing it!) It's really easy to use and I like that I can customize the background so that I'm not just staring at a screen. I put up a nice HD picture of a galaxy on the background to remind myself that I'm writing sci-fi and to consider the galaxy as a whole and not just the section of the galaxy I'm focusing on. Check out this awesome program here!


FocusWriter! Makes writing so much more interesting!

My other saving grace right now is focus@will which is a browser based application that allows me to set an amount of time and then choose a type and pace of music. Usually, I'm listening to classical or cinematic. This application is free for the very basic version but I went ahead and upgraded for a fee. I now get a year worth of use and I can modify the length of my session, as well as track my productivity. I read that this application is being used in studies for individuals that have ADHD (like me) and that it's actually being studied to help improve concentration and focus for individuals who aren't being treated. So far, it helps me when I am taking my meds and late at night when those have worn off. So it's a win-win! Check out this nifty little track here!


I hope everyone else who is out there doing NaNo is having a fun time and that their stories are progressing as nicely (and neatly) as mine is. For now, it's time for me to get some reading in and do one last journal session before I try to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment